Ransomware Continues to Wreak Havoc Across America
October 3, 2019 by Aaron Thomas
On October 2, 2019 SC Magazine reported that a ransomware attack forced DCH Health Systems to turn away patients. In 2019 reports of ransomware attacks have more than doubled from the previous year.
According to Malwarefox.com
Attackers are gaining access in 4 major ways:
- Phishing via email or social media
- Drive by Downloads
- User clicking on compromised websites
- Infections from computers which are part of botnets
There are 3 major causes to ransomware attacks
- Careless employees
- Ineffective Antivirus
- Outdated or unpatched software and hardware
On average ransomware attacks cost the average business over $8 Million in downtime, lost revenue, and remediation. Without proper cyber insurance this could close many small businesses and severely damage medium size businesses.
How to prevent ransomware:
- Educate users on phishing and not clicking suspicious links
- Ensure business class firewalls and endpoint protection is properly installed and configured
- Regularly patch all systems (servers, firewalls, workstation, laptops, printers, WiFi access points).
- Tighten remote access. Always use VPN connections.
- Employ the use of multi-factor authentication such as Duo.
If you are unsure how protected your business is, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-476-7183 for a free assessment.